Rod and Gun Club
- Activities & Events
The Fort Leavenworth Rod and Gun Club supports an active schedule of activities throughout the year. Events are designed for children, outdoor enthusiasts, and the entire family.
Highlighted events include:
- annual dove hunt
- kid's fishing derbies
- crappie and bass tournaments
- general membership meetings
- conservation projects
- turkey shoots
- fun shoots
- shotgun and pistol shoots
- dog trials
- youth hunts
- informational seminars
- weekly Friday socials
- State Certified Hunters' Education Course
The State Certified Hunters' Education Course is required before obtaining a hunting license for those born on or after July 1, 1957 or for those who hunt on the military installation regardless of age.
- Dog Boarding Kennels
The Rod and Gun Club manages dog boarding kennels, which are available on a short-term or long-term basis. Dog boarding is available to military, DoD cilivans and retirees.
To make reservations or payments please call +1(913)684-2580 or stop by Leisure Travel Services, located in the old Disciplinary Barracks at 310 McPherson Ave.
$30 annually for the entire family.
- Free dove hunt
- Free youth pheasant & quail hunt
- Free seminars
- European Pheasant Shoot
- Free Kids' Fishing Derbies (twice annually)
- Free door prizes at each meeting
- Chances to win shotguns, rifles, fishing equipment and more
- Monthly steak cookouts and seasonal programs
- Discount rate at R&GC kennels
- Fun shoots
- Turkey shoot
- Bass tournaments, Walleye tournament, and Crappie tournament
- Hunter / Dog commpetition (twice annually)
- Wild game dinners
- Deer stand rentals
- Clubhouse rentals
- Free Kansas-sanctioned Hunter Education Courses
- Monthly newsletters and special emails keeping membership current on post and Kansas hunting/fishing events and regulations
- Access to the Outdoor Women of Leavenworth activities
- 400+ members strong to share outdoor information networking (This alone is worth the membership rate of only $30/year for the entire family.)
- Hunting FAQs
Where do I get information about hunting on Fort Leavenworth?
Contact the Installation Hunting Coordinator at +1 (308)520-3599
Who is authorized to hunt on Fort Leavenworth?
The following individuals are authorized to hunt on Fort Leavenworth: • Military: – Active Duty – National Guard and Reserve – Retired Military • DOD civilians who work on Fort Leavenworth • Family members of the above that are DOD ID card holders – Under 15 years of age must have direct adult supervision and a State Hunter Safety Card (Installation Hunting Brief not required) – 16 years old and older may hunt unsupervised
What are the requirements to hunt on post?
- All hunters regardless of age are required to have a Hunter Safety Card to hunt on post. Anyone under 27 years old must carry a state approved Hunter Education Card while hunting in Kansas.
- Each hunter is required to attend the Installation Hunting Briefing annually to obtain their Fort Leavenworth Hunter ID card which expires end of July each year. Coordinate for this briefing with the Installation Hunting Coordinator at +1 (308)520-3599.
- All weapons must be registered with PMO BLDG# 194 open Monday through Friday. Hours are: 7:30 to 11 a.m. and noon to 4 p.m. vehicle registrations.
- CAC & FT LVN Form 225 must be carried with the weapon at all times.
- A Kansas hunting license with all tags and stamps for the species that you are hunting is required.
What kind of hunting is permitted on post?
Hunting for deer, turkey, upland birds, small game, and waterfowl are authorized on post. Trapping and fur harvesting is not permitted. Contact the Installation Hunting Coordinator at +1 (308)520-3599 for more information.
What kinds of weapons are allowed for hunting?
All weapons that are legal in the state of Kansas for hunting are legal on-post except for rim-fire rifles and hand guns.
- Hunting Regulations
Hours of Operation
|Monday||8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday||8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday||8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Thursday||8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
The Rod and Gun Club is open to active and retired military, DoD civilians and family members. The club sponsors organized seasonal hunting and fishing events and conducts meetings the second Wednesday of each month, with a “cook your own steak” social hour. The Rod and Gun Club sponsors an annual eight-hour hunter safety course in late summer. A hunter safety course is required for a hunting license for those born on or after July 1, 1957.
All hunters must have a valid Kansas hunting license in their possession while hunting, and comply with state and installation regulations. All on-post hunters must attend a hunting briefing and receive an installation hunting pass. On-post hunters may use any weapons legal for hunting in Kansas, except pistols. Black powder and modern rifles may only be used in limited areas for specified hunts. Hunters must attend a hunting briefing before hunting on the Fort Leavenworth reservation.